It is very difficult to sometimes decide on who to pay first. The first call on your cash is your rent. This page may be some assistance to you when budgeting your income.
Keep debt under control
You probably know how much money you get each week/month and how quickly it gets spent. Taking time to work out your budget really does help to see where your money is going. It’s then easier to see where you can make some savings to help balance the books or to give yourself some spare cash. If you need any assistance with completing a budgeting sheet which can be downloaded here. Please get in touch with your Housing Manager.
Get to grips with your money
The Association can organise for you to receive help, advice and training on how to manage your finances.
Tips to help you take stock of your money
- Don’t forget occasional items such as birthdays, Xmas, other festive presents or holidays.
- Think about things that you pay once a year, car tax, insurance etc. It’s helpful to put away a monthly amount for these.
- Keep a spending diary—try it for a month.
- Check to see if you are entitled to any state benefits or tax credits.
- Make sure you review your budget regularly.
- If you haven’t got enough money to cover your expenses, see where you might be able to make savings.
Get more help
- National Debtline - Provides a free, confidential and independent advice service
- CAB Adviceguide - For help with debt problems and to find your local CAB Office
- StepChange Debt Charity - 0800 138 111 StepChange offers a help with CCJ's and general debt advice.
- Payplan - Free debt management plans, IVAs and free debt advice
- Directgov - For information about tax credits and benefits, choice Money and Tax Benefits
- Energywatch - Compare gas and electricity costs